2018 Surf Foil Manual
RELEASES & AGREEMENTS.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY CLAIM WAIVER AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT.
RELEASE AND WAIVER OF CLAIMS AGREEMENT
In consideration of your use of this product, you hereby agree to the following, to the fullest extent permitted by law:
To waive any and all claims that you have or may have in the future against Foil Science LLC, or any of its agents, resulting from use of this product and any of its components.
To release Foil Science, or any of its agents from any and all liability for any loss, damage, injury or expense that you or any users of this product may suffer, or that your next of kin may suffer, as a result of the use of this product, due to any cause whatsoever, including negligence or breach of contract on the part of Foil Science, or any of its agents, in the design or manufacture of this product.
In further consideration of the sale to you of this product and any of its components, you hereby agree to submit to binding arbitration any and all claims, which you believe you may have against Foil Science, or any of its agents, arising from the use of any of the Foil Science equipment. The arbitration shall be pursuant to the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
Arbitration shall be commenced within one (1) year from the date on which any alleged claim first arose. Further, the arbitration shall be held in San Francisco, California unless otherwise mutually agreed to by all parties. The submission to the American Arbitration Association shall be limited and the arbitration award may be enforced by any court of competent jurisdiction.
BINDING EFFECT OF AGREEMENT
In the event of your death or incapacity, this Agreement shall be effective and binding upon your heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives.
In entering into this Agreement, you are not relying upon any oral or written representations other than what is set forth in this agreement and User’s Guide.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK
Use of this product and any of its components involves certain inherent risks, dangers and hazards, which can result in serious personal injury and death. In using this product you freely agree to assume and accept any and all known and unknown risks of injury while using this equipment. The risks inherent in the sport can be greatly reduced by abiding by the Warnings and Safety Precautions listed herein and by using common sense.
WARNING & SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
READ THE FOLLOWING POINTS BEFORE ASSEMBLING YOUR FOIL:
WARNING & SAFETY
HYDROFOILING IN ANY WATER SPORT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND UNPREDICTABLE IN CHANGING CONDITIONS. THE USER OF THIS PRODUCT SHOULD UNDERSTANDTHAT PARTICIPATING IN ANY FOILING ACTIVITY COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH TO YOU AND/OR OTHERS AROUND YOU.
OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING SAFETY STANDARDS WHENEVER USING THIS PRODUCT:
- always wear a personal floatation device and a helmet.
Always use extreme caution when using this product.
Misuse of this product can cause serious injury or death.
- Consult your physician prior to beginning any of these activities.
Never use this product unless you are in good physical health.
Never use this product unless you are an experienced swimmer.
Never act in a careless manner when using this product.
- Always wear a Coast Guard approved personal floatation device.
- Never paddle, surf or kite alone.
We do not recommend using the hydrofoil in breaking surf. Use extreme caution if you do.
You are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others around you when using this product.
If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parents or legal guardian read these warnings and instructions.
If you are under 18 years of the age, you must not use this product without proper guidance and supervision by your parents or legal guardian.
Use of this product exposes the user to unexpected and unavoidable risks, dangers and hazards.
Do not use this product if you are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medications.
Never use this product in thunderstorm and/or lightning conditions.
- Never use this product in conditions that are above your ability level.
Make sure you take lessons from a qualified instructor before using this product on the water.
Always observe local rules and regulations when using this product.
Always be aware of your surroundings including any people, watercrafts and obstacles above and below the water.
Steer clear of crowded line-ups and densely populated waters.
- Use an appropriate leash on your Paddleboard or Surfboard, Failure to do so may lead to injury or death to your and/or others.
- Be aware that a foil will carry speed and drift on its own farther and faster than a surfboard or paddleboard.
Be aware of water depth and how deep your foil extends.
- Avoid shallow reef and other areas in which your foil may come into contact with other objects.
- Check all bolts and connections before every use. Check to ensure bolts are tight and components are in working order.
- Be aware of wind and water conditions and how they effect foiling.
- Do not Paddle, Surf or Kite in flood or storm conditions.
- Always err on the side of caution.
* IT IS REQUIRED THAT YOU APPLY ANTI SEIZE TO ALL HARDWARE BEFORE ASSEMBLY & EXPOSURE TO SALT WATER
- Place the fuselage on a soft surface and slide mast into fuselage. Be sure to install mast with the leading edge forward. Using the palm of your hand & a slight rocking motion to push the mast into the fuselage. Confirm that the mast is properly seated and the three attachment holes line up. Attach the mast to fuselage with three M6x25MM bolts, tightening each bolt slightly until all bolts are tight.
- Slide the front wing onto the fuselage. Confirm that front wing is properly seated onto the fuselage and the attachment holes line up. Attach front wing to fuselage with three M6x25MM bolts, tightening each bolt slightly until the bolts are tight.
- Attach rear wing to fuselage with two M6x20MM bolts, tightening each bolt slightly until the bolts are tight.
Attaching foil to Board – Tuttle Mount
*APPLY ANTI SEIZE TO ALL HARDWARE BEFORE ASSEMBLY
- To attach the assembled foil onto the board, place the board upside down on soft ground. Carefully place the Tuttle head of the mast into the Tuttle box on the board. Gently rock the foil & mast back and forth to completely seat the mast into the Tuttle box.
- Once the mast is seated into the Tuttle box, carefully place board & foil on the side. Be careful with foil & board in this position. Insert the two ¼ 20 bolts through the board and hand thread into the mast. Be sure to thread bolts in hand tight and confirm that the bolts will thread all the way in with out stopping before the bolts are flush with the deck of the board. Once you have confirmed the bolts are the proper length, tighten each bolt slightly until both of the bolts are tight. If either of the bolts won’t screw in so they are flush with the deck of the board, see step #4.
- If the ¼ 20 bolt/s won’t thread flush to the surface of the board, you will need to trim down the length of the bolt/s. Once you have the bolts installed, measure the distance between the board and the head of the bolt and make note of this measurement. This is the amount that needs to be trimmed off the end of the bolt. Repeat process for other bolt. Note: the two bolts might be slightly different lengths, mark accordingly. Use a hack saw to trim the bolt 2-3MM more than the measured amount to ensure proper bolt length. Use a file to remove the burs and then reattach the bolt/s to the mast. Tighten each bolt slightly until both bolts are tight. We suggest using large stainless fender washers on the top surface of your board to give the bolts proper seating.
It is necessary to clean and lubricate your foil regularly, especially after exposure to saltwater. This is true with all of your equipment but especially your foil. Regular cleaning and lubing the hardware will help to minimize corrosion and help prevent your foil from fusing together. Follow these simple steps to maximize the life & performance of your foil.
- Coat the bolt threads with anti seize or Teflon tape before assembling your foil. Failure to do so will result in your foil fusing together.
- Avoid direct skin contact with anti seize & wash hands after using. Never place bolts or any hardware into your mouth.
- Rinse your foil and hardware after ANY exposure to salt water.
- Disassemble, clean, and inspect your foil after every use.
- Regularly apply anti seize to bolts or use Teflon tape.
- Ensure all bolts are firmly in place and tightened properly before every use.
- Be careful when handling and transporting your foil. When not using the foil be sure to store the foil in the protective bag.
- Immediately stop using the foil if you detect any damage to the foil or any of the components related to it.
Foil Science warrants this product to be free from defects—in material or workmanship to the original purchaser for a period of one year from the date of purchase. There are no warranties that extend beyond the warranty specified herein.
This warranty is subject to the following limitations:
- The warranty is valid only when the product is registered in the warranty section of www.foilscience.com within seven (7) days from the date of purchase.
- The warranty is valid only when this product is used for normal recreational activities and does not cover products used in rental or teaching operations.
- Foil Science will make the final warranty determination, which may require inspection and/or photos of the equipment, which clearly show the defect(s). If necessary, this information must be sent to the Foil Science distributor in your country–postage prepaid. Product may be returned only if a return authorization number (RAN) is given in advance by the Foil Science distributor. The RAN number must be clearly labeled on the outside of the package or it will be refused.
- If a product is deemed to be defective by Foil Science, the warranty covers the repair or replacement of the defective product only. Foil Science will not be responsible for any costs, losses or damages incurred as a result of loss of use of this product.
- This warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, abuse, neglect or normal wear and tear including, but not limited to: punctures, rigging with other than Foil Science components, damage due to excessive sun exposure or damage caused by improper handling and storage, damage caused by use in waves or shore break and damage caused by crashing at high speed, or damage caused by anything other than defects in material and workmanship.
- This warranty is void if any unauthorized repair, change or modification has been made to any part of the equipment.
- The warranty for any repaired or replaced equipment is good from the date of the original purchase only.
- The original purchase receipt must accompany all warranty claims. The name of the retailer and date of purchase must be clear and legible.